Psi - Initial configuration
Note! Click on the image to see it in full size.
- Psi can connect to many Jabber servers at the same time so we have to identify each connection somehow. So the first thing to do is to assign name to the connection we just creating. As we are going to define connection to tigase.org server let's name it just: Tigase.
Note! At the moment you can register account through the Web site only. This is single account for both services: Drupal Web site and Jabber in tigase.org domain. If you want to have a Jabber account on tigase.org server go to registration page, un-tick "Register new account" here and go to the point no 5. You can use guide in points 2-4 though to register Jabber account on any other Jabber server.
- When you press Add button you will see next window where you can enter your Jabber account details:
- Invent your user name for account on Tigase server. Let's assume your user name is: frank. Jabber ID however consists of 2 parts - your user name and server address. Exactly the same as e-mail address. As you are registering account on tigase.org server so you have to enter in this field: firstname.lastname@example.org. Next enter password of your choice and click Register button.
- On successful registration you will receive confirmation message and you should see window like this:
It may happen that somebody earlier registered account with the name you selected for yourself. Then you will receive error message. You have to select another user name and try to register again.
- After clicking OK button you will see window with your connection and account setup. You can stick with default values for now.
Just click Save button and this window closes.
- Now you have your account configured and ready to use but you are still off-line. You can find it out whether you are on-line or off-line looking at the bottom of main Psi window. You can see there Offline text.
Click on this Offline text and you can see list of possible options. Just select Online.
Now you are connected!
Well, you are connected but how to talk to other people? How to add friends to the contact list?
You can send a message to your friends just stright away using Psi menu option New blank message. It is much more convenient however if you could see who of your friends is online and available for chating and if you could start talking to your friend just clicking on his name.
Here is a short instructions how to add your first contact:
- Click on Psi menu - the button next to Online text. You will then see something like this:
From all menu options select the top one - Add a contact:
- Next window will show where you can enter your contact details:
You have to know Jabber ID of the person you want to add to your contact list. Let's assume for example you want to add Tigase server administrator Jabber ID to your contact list. So after you enter these details the window will look like this:
Click Add button.
- Now you can see confirmation window that new person has been added to your contact list:
But there is more behind the scene. Adding contact to your Roster (contact list) usually means you can see whether the person is online and available to talk or not. The person however may not wish you to see his presence. So to make sure the other person accepts you as a friend Psi send request to the address you just entered with question whether he agree to show his presence to you.
You won't be able to see the user availability until he sends confirmation.
- Once the other user sends confirmation back you will receive usually 2 system events:
- Click on the contact to see window with these messages:
- One message just say you have been authorized by the other user:
So you simply click Next to see second message.
- The second message is a bit more interesting. It contains question whether you also authorize the other user to see your presence. If you want to accept this request just click Add/Auth.
- Finally main Psi window with your new contact:
You are ready to start Jabbering. Good luck.
Where to go next? For detailed Psi documentation refer to the program Wiki page: http://psi-im.org/wiki/Main_Page